Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Asparagus Stuffed Chicken



 
 
 

This is one of my favorite creations.  I came about when I invited my work colleges for dinner.  I wanted something simple to make but elegant.  It was delicious and a beautiful presentation.

You will need:
1 chicken breast per person
8 oz. cream cheese
                            2-3 asparagus spears for each person
                            Spray olive oil
                            Season to taste

If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 20 minutes before using.  Butterfly each chicken breast.  Carefully place one hand flat on the top of the chicken breast.  Hold fingers straight out for safety.  Using a very sharp knife, slice chicken breast parallel to your hand.  Stop approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch from opposite end.  Open butterfly.  Repeat for each chicken breast.  Spray both sides of each chicken breast with olive oil.    Using your favorite seasoning, season each chicken breast to taste.  (I use salt, pepper, and seasoning salt.)  Place approximately 1/4 inch slice of cream cheese on the bottom half of the 'butterfly' close to the center of the chicken breast.  Place 2-3 washed asparagus spears over the cream cheese.  Spray asparagus with olive oil.  Close up the butterfly chicken breast to the original shaped chicken breast.  Secure opening with a skewer.  Place in a greased baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until chicken breasts are completely done.  Be careful not to dry out the chicken breasts. 
 
I hope you enjoy this.  Please let me know if you make any changes so I can try your creation.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment