Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sugar-free Blueberry Cobbler


My husband asked for a dessert to take to a meeting.  He has been trying to cut down on sugar and asked for a sugar free dessert.  I had some frozen blueberries and decided on a blueberry cobbler.  I have made this before but wasn't impressed with the taste.  It wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great. This time I decided to try adding one ingredient that I hadn't tried.

I placed the frozen blueberries in a pan and put in Splenda.  I can't tell you how much.  I usually start with one cup, taste as the fruit is cooking and adjust accordingly.  Some years fruit is sweeter than usual.  I cooked the fruit to bring out the juice, but was careful not to cook it to death.  (I have a tendency to do that with fruit.)  Then when I had it as sweet and juicy as I wanted, I added vanilla extract and lemon extract.  I usually add vanilla, but not lemon.  I was amazed at the difference the lemon made in the recipe.  It added just the right amount of tartness and brightened up the flavor.  I poured the mixture into a casserole dish and topped it with crust made from Bisquick.  I baked it in a 350 degree oven until the crust was brown. 

My husband took this cobbler to his meeting and placed a sign on it "Sugar Free".  He did this thinking not many people want a sugar-free dessert and would pass it up.  He went back to get dessert and there was no cobbler left.  Adding the lemon extract made all the difference in the world.  I hope you try this and let me know if you make any other changes.

 Ingredients:
Frozen blueberries
Splenda
Vanilla extract
Lemon extract
Bisquick

No comments:

Post a Comment