Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Stuffed Dates

Stilton-Stuffed Dates   I saw this recipe on one of the cooking shows and just had to try it.  I made a few changes and served it to a group of ladies for appetizers.  When I announced that dinner would be just a few more minutes, one of the ladies held up a date and said, "A few more of these and you can skip dinner."  They were absolutely delicious.  Here is my version.  If you change it, please let me know so I can try yours.

1 box or carton of pitted, whole dates
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 slice of bacon for each date
Pastry bag
Toothpicks

Soak toothpicks in water for about 20 minutes.  Place softened cream cheese in a pastry bag.  A small decorating tip is not essential, but sure helps with filling the dates.  With the tip and pastry bag, squeeze a small amount of cream cheese into the end of each date.  Wrap the bacon around the date and secure with a toothpick.  Place filled, wrapped date on a rack over a cookie sheet.  (This allows the fat from the bacon to drain away from the date.)  Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until bacon is desired crispness. Turn dates over half way through cooking to allow bacon to brown evenly.
These are good hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment