Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Spinach Breakfast Wrap

"Mom, I don't have time for breakfast.  I'll grab something on the way to school."  Have you heard that?  Well here is the answer.  Your teen or hubby can grab something on the way out the door and eat it in the car.

You can actually use any tortilla you like, but I prefer the spinach ones.  Spinach tortillas???  I have been asked that many times.  Yes, there are tortillas made with spinach.  Don't tell the kids.  They are very large and a mint green color.  They are much easier to roll and just plain fun.

You will need:
Spinach tortillas (6 in each package)
1 lb. pan sausage
1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper
4-5 eggs
1-2 Tbs. milk
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce (optional)

Brown pan sausage in skillet.  Add onion and bell pepper to skillet.  Cook until onion is transparent and pepper is soft. Meanwhile, break eggs into a small bowl.  Add milk, salt and pepper.  Pour egg mixture into skillet with sausage, onion and pepper mixture.  Cook until eggs are scrambled.

Lay one tortilla on a plate.  Spoon egg and sausage mixture down the middle of the tortilla.  Add hot sauce if desired.  Fold the tortilla top to middle, bottom to middle, left side to middle, and right side to middle.  (This takes a little practice.)  You are making a burrito type roll.  

Heat clean cast iron  skillet or grill. ( I use a George Foreman grill.)  When skillet or grill is screaming hot, place breakfast wrap on.  Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until tortilla is slight brown and crisp.  When finished the wrap can be held in the hand and eaten on the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment