Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Corn Casserole

Christmas was approaching and I was creating the menu.  I elected to serve corn casserole instead of plain corn.  I found a recipe online.  All the ingredients were in the pantry except the canned whole and creamed corn.  I don't buy canned vegetables  because there is too little nutrition and too much salt.  I revamped the recipe and here is the end product.  I hope you enjoy it.  As always, I ask if you make changes, please let me know.  I want to try your creation.

 1 small pkg. frozen corn
1 cup sour cream
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 stick of melted butter
1 cup of Sweet Blend (or chopped onions and peppers)
Shredded cheddar cheese

Cook corn and Sweet Blend in small amt. of water.  Do not drain.  Cool slightly.  Add sour cream, cornbread mix, and melted butter.  Mix well to incorporate cornbread mix.  Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.  Top with shredded cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment