Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Honeydew and Grape Salad

A bunch of grapes with a leaf
Slice of honeydew melonI was looking for an unusual salad recipe for Christmas dinner.  I found one for honeydew and grape salad.  It didn't sound appetizing, but I decided to try it anyway--with a little revamping, of course.  To my surprise, my husband absolutely loved it and is asking for it to be served more often.  Here is what I did.  As always, please let me know how you change it so I can try your recipe.

 Into a serving bowl add:
Bite sized pieces of honeydew melon. (I used one whole melon because I was serving a crowd.)
Washed seedless grapes. Try to balance the amt. of grapes and melon. (Be sure to use seedless. I used purple ones for added color, but you can use green.)
One 6oz. carton of vanilla flavored yogurt.
Dash of salt. (Salt brings out the sweet in the fruit and yogurt.)
Dash of pepper.
Taste the salad.  If the fruit is not sweet, add a tablespoon of sugar or Splenda.

Chill for at least one hour before serving.

I hope you try this salad.  Be sure to check back next Thursday for a new recipe.  If you click 'follow' on the blog, you will receive a notice each time a recipe is posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment