Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Cream of Tomato Soup

A pot with colored vegetables in the backgroundOne year my husband's garden produced more tomatoes than we knew what to do with.  We had given away tomatoes, eaten them every way I could think of, and still they kept producing.  I decided to try making Cream of Tomato Soup.  I didn't have a clue how to do it, but just did what seemed  logical.  It was wonderful.  Below is the process I used.  If you change anything, please let me know the results.  I am always looking to upgrade my recipes.

  • Wash tomatoes.  
  • Boil water in a big pot.  Drop tomatoes in boiling water for one minute.  Immediately pour into ice water.  (This will allow you to simply pull the skins off.)  (You can use canned tomatoes if desired.  I have and the results were similar.)
  • In frying pan, cook desired amount of chopped bacon, onion, and bell peppers until bacon is done. This adds a lot of flavor so the specific amount is up to you.
  • Put peeled tomatoes in large pot and begin cooking on a low heat.
  • Add cooked bacon, onion and bell pepper to pot.
  • Once tomatoes have cooked down, season to taste.  I used salt, pepper and a little sugar to cut the acid.
  • Add cream to taste.
  • If you want the mixture complete smooth, blend in blender until desired consistency.  
This is extra work, but well worth the effort.  Besides, impresses the socks off the in-laws.



No comments:

Post a Comment