Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

New Flavored Frosting

A big deal has been made of the new flavor packets which can be added to vanilla frosting to make new flavors.  I confess that I have not tried those yet, but I did practically the same thing a few weeks ago when I needed one more flavor of frosting.  This extra cake was in reserve in case it was needed at a wedding.

I used my regular butter cream frosting recipe
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  •  1/2cup shortening
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Then I added 
  • 1 box of instant butterscotch pudding
  • 1 teaspoon butterscotch flavoring
  • Mix all ingredients as you would for any frosting.   How was it???  Illegal!!!  The cake was not needed at the wedding so I donated it to the youth department for an activity.  The only complaint I received was that the people serving the cake didn't get to taste it because the youth ate it all.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment