Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tropical Sweet Potatoes

View details 

Recipes From the Heart

Tropical Sweet Potatoes

As I was frantically looking for something to cook--you see most of recipes come from failure to plan--I found some sweet potatoes I had placed in the utility room.  I decided to see what I could do with them.  I considered baking them, but they were small and oddly shaped, which doesn't render a good baked potato.  I decided to peel and boil them.  Now I love boiled sweet potatoes, but they can be a little bland.  So I spiced them up. Here's the process:

Peel sweet potatoes
Wash
Slice potatoes into disks about one inch thick.
Put in two quart pan.
Cover with water and a dash of salt.
Cook on stove top until not quite fork tender.
Add 1/2 small package of frozen pineapple.
Add brown sugar to taste.
Finish cooking until fork tender.

The potatoes were delicious--no leftovers.  The slightly fruity taste was a nice change of pace.  Don't add the pineapple too early because if cooked too long it falls apart and looks unappetizing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment