Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Have You Discovered Couscous?

Have you discovered couscous?

What Is Couscous?Couscous is small, round, coarsely ground pasta made from semolina wheat; each piece is about 1 millimeter in diameter. It has a hearty texture and slightly nutty taste and can be quickly prepared by adding a specified amount of boiling water and covering it for 5 minutes.

 For those watching their diet, couscous is an ideal food. It's low in saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol, and contains B vitamins, fiber and protein.

Read more: Couscous

The internet contains hundreds of sites with recipes for couscous.  A good place to start is facebook. Try these sites:

http://www.finecooking.com/item/5234/couscous
 
http://www.thekitchn.com/dinner-quick-10-flavorful-cous-96007

http://www.recipehub.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment