Welcome To Recipes From the Heart

The old adage 'necessity is the mother of invention' was certainly true as I raised my children. When they were preschool age, my husband's company conducted a reduction of work force resulting in the loss of our only income. Have you ever read a recipe and had all the ingredients except one? Everyone has. So what do you do? Go to the store and buy the ingredient? That wasn't an option during those lean years. I learned to recreate recipes and create my own. I learned to enjoy opening the pantry and putting things together to make a new dish. I have kept the dishes through the years and still use them today. This site will feature my tweaked recipes and some I created on my own. Each of my adult books include recipes. I would love to know how you tweak my recipes for your family's taste or the supplies in your pantry.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fancy Chicken Salad

This was not the recipe I had planned for my first post, but I was influenced by compliments for doing exactly what this blog is about--using ingredients on hand.  I wanted to take refreshments to a meeting, so began looking in my pantry and freezer.  Guess what--groceries a little skimpy this week.  I had plenty of boneless skinless chicken breasts and Rhodes yeast rolls.  That equals chicken salad sandwiches with yeast rolls instead of plain bread.  Every single person at the meeting raved about how delicious the sandwiches were.  One person asked what the filling was because she had never had anything like it.  Here's what I did:

Allow Rhodes yeast rolls to rise according to directions of pkg.

Cut the chicken breasts into bite size pieces to make grilling faster.  (I don't boil chicken--way to bland for me.)  
Browned the chicken pieces in a screaming hot skillet. 
Seasoned to taste.
Looked in the refrigerator one more time, saw chopped vegetables left over from the weekend.  I threw all the chopped peppers and onions into the skillet to saute'.  Allowed the grilled chicken and vegetables to cool.

Cooked rolls according to directions on pkg.  Allowed to cool.

Combined the chicken, vegetables, pickles, boiled eggs, and mayonnaise in food processor.  Once the mixture was ground into a relatively smooth consistence, sliced rolls and filled with chicken salad.

It was the best chicken salad I've ever tasted.  I hope you try this and please  let me know of any changes you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment